Posted on November 9, 2016
Five Healthy Lifestyle Tips
Despite what magazine covers, news reports, and Pinterest may tell us, living a healthy lifestyle doesn’t need to be complicated.
“Get clearer skin!”
“Lose weight the easy way!”
“Feel rested and look your best!”
Media headlines constantly bombard us with messages designed to cause us to pick ourselves apart while we hunger for change. Fad diets, trends, and health gurus would love us to believe that their solutions are the only solutions. And then, when we don’t achieve the results we’re promised, we feel like failures and give up.
Want to hear a secret? A healthy lifestyle doesn’t need to be complicated. Here are five quick, easy tips to achieving a healthy lifestyle – on your own terms.
1. Diet – Have you ever noticed which foods energize you versus which ones cause you to crash or feel tired and bloated? Fresh and delicious fruit and vegetables, healthy proteins, and whole grains are some of nature’s best medicine. Skip the processed food aisles at your grocery store, and instead opt for salads, wraps, soups, stews, chili, smoothies, and other tasty treats for your tummy.
2. Exercise – I know without a doubt when I have not been running or stretching or practicing yoga. My entire body feels seized and fatigued. Muscles that are normally limber feel tighter, and my stress levels start to rise. Getting your heart pumping is one of the best things you can do for your body. Skip the marathons, though. Even just a walk around the block on your lunch break can make a world of difference!
3. Body Care – Your skin is your body’s largest (and probably most absorbent) organ. If you live in a city like I do, you bring the day home with you on your face: car exhaust, dirt, oils, airborne pollutants, and other nasty toxins. Wipe the slate clean with a high-quality product that is gentle and non-toxic while working to rid your face of everything unwanted. You know I love METRIN‘s simple, clean, five-step system.
4. Mental Health – An equally-important component to a healthy lifestyle, keeping your mental health and wellness in check is a must. Sometimes it takes a lot of work, but the rewards are worth the effort you put into it. We can all benefit from a reduced stress load, so find what works for you. Whether it’s yoga, journalling, talking with a friend, or spending time doing a hobby you enjoy, making time for yourself is something you’ll feel grateful for.
5. Sleep – Sweet, sweet sleep… the one thing that tends to elude so many of us. With sugar coursing through our veins, pent-up energy from lack of exercise, and the stress of the day carried around on our slumped shoulders, is it any wonder so many people lack quality sleep? When we bring all of the other pieces in line, it’s likely that we’ll have an easier time catching Zzzs. If not? Diffuse some lavender or cedarwood essential oils, cuddle with your dog, take a warm bath before bedtime, or sip a rest-inducing herbal tea.
You’ve already got the tools and the ability to choose what’s best for you. No one knows what your healthy lifestyle looks like better than you do, and no one is able to make these choices for you. If you want to feel better and live a healthier lifestyle, only you can take those steps, make those plans, or prioritize what’s important.