Posted on October 12, 2016
Great Skin Without Makeup
Not a myth, and certainly not impossible, I’ve discovered that great skin without makeup is achievable by following a few easy steps.
Most women (and some men) are no strangers to makeup. Some of the earliest makeup can be traced back to 3100 BC! Unfortunately for us, somewhere along the way society in general decided to adopt the notion that women need makeup – and lots of it – to feel or look their best.
Year ago, when I taught preschool, I was less worried about how I looked and was more concerned about the job I was doing. On one particularly hurried morning, I pulled on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, tied my hair in a ponytail, and went to work. At craft time, one of the little girls exclaimed:
“Teacher Keira! You’re not wearing any makeup today!”
I was surprised that she even noticed, and confirmed with her that she was right.
Her reply? “You look ugly without makeup!”
Where the heck do five-year-olds get that idea from?
Fresh-faced and loving it. Photo by Ashley Kitchen.
I’m not about to dive into a deep diatribe on the unrealistic standards that society tends to hold women up to. Don’t get me wrong. I love makeup! I love playing around with colours and styles, I love the transformation it can create, and I am especially grateful for the pick-me-up that wearing makeup can sometimes provide. My point is that not only is makeup not necessary to be beautiful, but also that it’s very possible have great skin without makeup!
As I’ve reached my 30s, I have come to realize that there are some things about my skin I can’t change: my pore size, how many blemishes I get, or its texture. Genetics plays a part in skin health, sure, but there are also some quick-and-easy rules we can all implement to ensure that our skin looks as good as possible.
1. Lemon – Adding some lemon juice or a drop or two of lemon essential oil to your morning water (either hot or cold) can help kick-start detoxification. Lemon has long been known for its purification properties, and the flavour will give your mood a boost!
2. Cleanse – A gentle, nourishing, non-toxic skincare routine is a must. I love METRIN‘s simple five-step system for that very reason. The key is to be consistent: just like a “gym bod” doesn’t develop in one visit, great skin takes time, consistency, and effort.
3. Protect – I don’t need to remind you how damaging the sun can be to our skin. Its harm is often irreversible, and things like spots, sagging skin, and wrinkles can all be prevented with a great sunscreen. Look for one with SPF 30 and make sure to use it on each of the 365 days of the year – even the cloudy days.
4. Hands Off! – Our cell phones, grip bars on public transit, door knobs: they all carry a seemingly infinite amount of creepy, crawly germs. Every time you touch your face, that’s where the bacteria is getting transferred to. The “10-Second Rule” doesn’t apply, so keep your hands to yourself and stop picking!
5. Sweet Dreams – A great night’s sleep does more than make you feel great. It can replenish your moisture, nourish your skin’s pH level, and help avoid bags and dark circles. Not getting enough sleep can wreak havoc on your immune levels, making troubling skin problems much worse.
Don’t forget to pin it! Keep these tips handy and share them with your Pinterest pals!
What are some challenges you face on your journey to great skin without makeup? Do you have any tried-and-true tips that work for you? Share them below!
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/53147/domains/keira-anne.com/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 399