Posted on September 21, 2016
Fall Skincare: Transitioning Your Skin With the Season
With cooler, damper weather, your skin’s needs will change. A strong fall skincare routine is essential.
There’s something comfy and cozy about autumn weather, but it can also wreak havoc on skin that’s used to the toasty, warm vitamin D it’s exposed to in the summer months. Implementing a fall skincare routine, customized to the changes in weather, will help ease your face and body into a new season while maintaining a healthy, supple glow.
Photo: Victor Hanacek
To get a few tips on transitioning my face and body from August to autumn, I consulted my go-to pals at METRIN Skincare (seriously – is there anything that team of experts doesn’t know about skincare?). They gracious shared with me a few ideas to tuck into my arsenal as the leaves turn:
1. Drink Water! Getting enough water each day will hydrate your body, which in turn helps to hydrate your skin from within. I aim for two litres each day with a bit of grapefruit essential oil added.
2. Use a Humidifier Purchasing and using a humidifier or an ultrasonic diffuser every single day adds moisture back into your home’s air, helping keep dry skin supple.
3. Exfoliate The exfoliation process removes dead skin cells from your body. I love this make-it-yourself ginger-lime sugar scrub. If you have sensitive skin, be gentle. Regular, gentle exfoliation is best for your skin.
4. Moisturize Moisturizing is key to your fall skincare routine. As autumn approaches, make sure to moisturize in both the morning and evening. Drier skin will feel better if you switch to a richer moisturizer with higher oil content, provided that the oil is non comedogenic. My personal all-over solution is organic, cold-pressed coconut oil because I can purchase it by the tub at Costco!
5. Take Shorter Showers Long, hot showers or baths will leave your skin lacking moisture. Opt for shorter, lukewarm showers instead.
6. Use Shower Gel Ditch the bar soap and opt for a body wash that states it is “hydrating.”
7. Change Your Diet Foods that are rich in Omega-3 essential fatty acids and antioxidants such as Vitamins A, C, and E can actually help reverse summer damage while preparing your skin for the challenging colder months ahead.
8. Wear Gloves Cover up at the first sign of cold! Skin chapping on the hands can happen even before the temperature turns frigid, causing sensitive skin and dry hands.
9. Apply Lip Balm Using a hydrating lip balm is a good habit to get into as soon as the weather starts to get cooler. But, again, watch for toxic ingredients. A dab of coconut oil will do the trick!
10. Stay Active Resist the urge to hibernate as the weather gets cooler. Maintain an active life style to help stay healthy from the inside out to boost your mind, body, and skin.
YOUR TURN: What are some of your go-to fall skincare tips? Share them in the comments below!
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/53147/domains/keira-anne.com/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 399