Posted on June 10, 2016
20 Questions with Susannah Kellogg
20 Questions with Susannah Kellogg
I found Susannah’s blog after she recently published a post about the importance of supporting other bloggers. I had to give her a virtual high five for that because I completely agree, and it’s largely why I started this series. Susannah’s musings are refreshing and, like me, she’s a true Pacific Northwest gal. Susannah is the mother of an adorable little boy and is married to the love of her life, Nate. Recently transplanted from Portland, Oregon, Susannah and her family call rural Washington State home. This multi-talented woman is more than just a blogger! Susannah Kellogg is also a coffee lover, crocheter, jewelry maker, savvy shopper, pastor’s wife, and someone who is passionate about the simple life. But don’t take it from me – read her beautifully honest answers in this week’s 20 Questions.
1. What are you really excited about these days?
We’re buying a house! I’m totally pumped!
2. What was the last picture you took on your phone?
My husband is an associate pastor at a church and one of our long time friends was just hired on as the youth pastor a few months ago. Last night I was playing with my son and the youth pastor’s two kids in the church nursery and they all decided to put on cow costumes. I took a precious picture of a four-year-old, three-year-old, and my one-and-a-half-year-old all dressed up like cows. I’m so thankful for how much those kids love my little man!
3. Making yourself accessible through social media and blogging opens the door to admiration but also criticism. How do you handle criticism?
Most of the time I just roll my eyes because haters gonna hate and my self-worth isn’t caught up in someone I don’t know. The problem comes when it’s someone I do know. Then I cry. A lot.
4. What is your bottom line, number one, golden rule when it comes to blogging?
My golden rule for blogging is the same as the original, Biblical, golden rule… Do to others what you would want them to do to you. This pretty much sums it all up!
5. Everyone has a spirit animal. What’s yours and why?
I’ve been trying to figure this one out for a while now! I used to say dolphin but then switched to monkey but now that I’m a mom I have no energy so I don’t think I can be either of those. Maybe I’m a kangaroo now…
6. The Breakfast Club featured a rebel, a princess, a brainiac, an outcast, and a jock. Who were you in high school?
I don’t think I’d really fit into any of those but the closest would be brainiac since I took all honors and AP classes throughout high school. I was a cool brainiac, though. 😉
7. If I gave you $50,000 to start a business, what would you start?
Oh my goodness, I have SO many things I’d want to do! I think I’d want to write and put the money toward publishing and advertising. I have all sorts of book ideas in my head but I just need the time and, honestly, money to do it!
8. What’s your all-time favourite jam from the ‘80s or ‘90s?
Am I allowed to just say anything by Queen? I know that a lot of their stuff is also from the ’70s but they still count!
9. Blogging can ebb and flow for a lot of people. Where do you see your blog in 2021?
Five years… Well, I’ll hopefully have a few more kids so my blog will continue to focus on marriage and parenting! That’s right around the time my husband will be having his month-long sabbatical when we’re planning on driving around the U.S. to visit churches, so I’ll be blogging a lot about travel then!
10. If we could curl up for some girl talk on a rainy day, what would we be drinking?
That depends on a lot of factors. It’s rainy so I’ll want something warm. If it’s during the day I’d go for a coffee or a mocha. In the evening I’d probably go for a hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps or maybe a White Russian if I’m wanting something cool!
11. What’s your guilty pleasure food when you need your greasy food fix?
A big, juicy burger and TONS of fries!
12. In your town, what’s the one restaurant that no one has heard of but everyone should eat at?
Hahahahahahahaha! I live in a small town and there are pretty much no quality restaurants, especially since we moved here from Portland, Oregon where there are hundreds! We miss good restaurants!
13. What’s the biggest misconception people have about you in real life?
I think I’m pretty open about who I really am, so I think people have an accurate view of me for the most part. Maybe a misconception might be that since I grew up in a Christian home, was a missionary kid, and have 11 brothers and sisters (nine of whom are adopted) my family is super awesome and really close. In reality my family is very messed up and there’s a lot of that stuff that I don’t share because I choose to respect my parents and siblings and keep the dirty laundry off the internet.
14. If you could star as any character in the remake of any movie, which famous role would you reprise?
I would love to be Lucy from While You Were Sleeping, originally played by Sandra Bullock. Mainly just because it’s my favorite movie and I already have all the lines memorized.
15. If you could learn a new skill, language, or hobby, what would it be?
I really want to learn how to play the piano! I took 11 years of lessons but never paid attention, so I never got very good and I’ve forgotten pretty much everything. It’s one of my biggest regrets in life.
16. Who are you most proud of?
I’m super proud of my husband, Nate. He’s such a wonderful, hard-working man! After we got married he worked 60+ hours a week while in grad school and did it (mostly) without complaining! We were able to both work during that time and got him through grad school debt-free! He now ensures that he is able to work in a job that allows me to stay home with our son and, when money’s getting a little tight, has a side hustle that he does to keep us afloat!
17. Who is (or was) the single most influential person in your life?
I don’t think I could name one person. There are many people who have contributed to making me into who I am!
18. I’m throwing a dinner party next weekend. You’re invited and can bring three others with you (dead or alive). Who should I set the table for?
These questions are the worst! I want to meet EVERYONE! Let’s see… I’d invite Mary, the mother of Jesus, Harriet Tubman, and Queen Elizabeth the First! That would be quite the party!
19. What’s the one question you wish someone would ask you?
Can I give you a million dollars?
20. So can I give you a million dollars?
Meet Susannah Kellogg:
Blog: Simple Moments Stick
Etsy: Simply You and Baby Too!
Bloglovin: Simple Moments Stick
All photos are provided courtesy of Susannah Kellogg.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/53147/domains/keira-anne.com/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 399