Posted on September 24, 2010
Pumpkin Patches And Corn Mazes And Apple Orchards – Oh My!
There are few seasons that are as steeped in annual tradition as autumn is. We celebrate abundance as we watch leaves falling off trees in anticipation of brand new blossoms. Nowhere is this celebration more enjoyable than at the cornucopia of pumpkin patches, corn mazes and orchards across Vancouver Island.
Photo: Awen Photography on Flickr
I’m beside myself with excitement to take my 18-month old niece on her first trip to a pumpkin patch next weekend. Now that she’s walking, it’s time she has her first pair of rubber boots to mark the event! While we plan on staying within the Comox Valley to do so, here’s a quick round-up of the Island’s best seasonal farms that are worth the trip.
- 3205 Island Highway, Campbell River – (250) 830-1133
Seasonal vegetables and a hearty pumpkin patch are a draw to this north Island farm.
- 2276 Anderton Road, Comox – (250) 339-1671 [website]
Sustainable and organic farm growing apples, pumpkins, lavender and garlic. Open daily during October from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- 1507 Philmonte Road, Comox – (250) 339 7784
Uncertified organic orchard featuring over 15 apple varieties plus juice, jelly and other seasonal fruit such as pears and plums.
Farmer Bill’s Country Market
- 7666 Pacific Rim Highway, Port Alberni (250) 723-7700 [website]
Hay rides, farm tours, a hay bale maze, farm animals, a pumpkin patch and u-pick pumpkins are only a fraction of the fun you’ll find at Farmer Bill’s. (Please note that Farmer Bill’s is located west of Port Alberni en route to Sproat Lake.)
- 1949 Cedar Road, Nanaimo – (250) 713-6304 [website]
A spooktacular display of pumpkins are the highlight of this acreage featuring hay rides, a pumpkin patch and steaming hot chocolate.
McNab’s Corn Maze
- 4613 Yellow Point Road, Ladysmith – (250) 245-0666
Extensive pumpkin patch and corn maze with hay rides and pick-your-own pumpkins.
Abby Lane Farm
- 7233 Mays Road, Duncan – (250) 709-5405 [website]
Horse-drawn wagon rides, pumpkin patch plus u-pick pumpkins, farm tours, covered picnic area and a pumpkin-smashing catapult!
- 1843 Tzouhalem Road, Duncan – (250) 746-4204 [website]
Therapeutic community farm with a pumpkin patch; also features seasonal fruits and vegetables, herbs and farm fresh eggs.
Oldfield Orchard & Bakery
- 6286 Oldfield Road, Saanichton (250) 652-1579 [website]
Apples, pears and squash are all in season right now, but make sure you taste some of their fruit pies and jellies in the farm’s bakery!
- 8277 Central Saanich Road, Saanichton – (250) 652-7777 [website]
Fresh pumpkins, seasonal produce, farm market and specialized school tours.
- 4150 Blenkinsop Road, Victoria – (250) 477-5713 [website]
Close to downtown Victoria, Galey Farms features a farm train, 6 acre corn maze, old western town, pumpkin patch, petting farm and a Halloween haunted house in October.
Photo: Old Itch on Flickr
A few things to remember before heading out:
- Farms are likely to be very muddy this time of year, so gumboots are a must!
- While some farms listed feature free admission, most produce – and particularly pumpkins – are sold on a cash-only basis, so leave your debit card at home.
- Call ahead before bringing your family’s canine companion along. A few farms won’t allow dogs on the premises.