Posted on September 10, 2010
Comox Valley Regional District Advises Residents To Boil Water
- Flush all water-using fixtures for 1 minute.
- Run cold-water faucets and drinking fountains for 1 minute before using the water.
- Drain and flush all ice-making machines in your refrigerator.
- Run water softeners through a regeneration cycle.
- Drain and refill hot water tanks set below 45 C (normal setting is 60 C).
- Change any pre-treatment filters (under sink style and refrigerator water filters, carbon block, activated carbon, sediment filters, etc.).
Less than two weeks after the White Rock area was imposed with a boil water advisory, residents of the Comox Valley are facing the same after the presence of e-coli was detected in a water sample during routine testing on Thursday afternoon. The advisory is effective immediately and affects the following areas: Courtenay, Comox, Comox Valley, Arden, Marsden Campco, Greaves Crescent and England Road.
Photo: paulhami on Flickr
This advisory is extended until at least the end of the weekend. Three samples, each taken 24 hours apart, must come back clean in order for the advisory to be lifted. If you’re unsure if your area is affected, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Here are some tips to stay safe while the water isn’t:
- Boil water on a rolling boil for a minimum of one minute before using.
- Use only boiled or bottled water for drinking, making ice or fountain drinks, washing dishes, brushing teeth or preparing uncooked foods.
- Bottled water is a safe bet, but purchase water in recycled bottles and return the bottles to one of the Comox Valley’s recycling depots when you’re finished.
The Comox Valley Regional District and the Vancouver Island Health Authority are working together to resolve this situation and will advise the public immediately when the water is safe to drink once again. Updates will be available through the CVRD’s website. You can also follow the CVRD on Twitter for the most current information.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h05/mnt/53147/domains/keira-anne.com/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 399